The Singer’s Gym regularly offers classes and workshops for other presenters such as
• Local and regional chapters of NATS (National Association of Teachers of Singing)
• Resident Young Artist program at opera companies
• Conservatory and university vocal programs
• Studios of individual voice teachers
If you are a presenter interested in a Singer’s Gym workshop or master class, the following descriptions may assist you in your selection.
Our list of recent engagements includes:
• Invited presentation for the NATS (National Association of Teachers of Singing) Chapter in Sonoma, CA.
• Master classes for the Merola Program at the San Francisco Opera.
• “Acting through Shakespeare” for the Adler Fellows at the San Francisco Opera.
• Workshops and master classes at various universities.
• Invited workshop at the Napa Valley (CA) studio of Vicky Van Dewark, followed by performances at the Jarvis Conservatory.
A brief description of these offerings follows:
Invited Presentation for NATS Chapters
A selection of six to eight singers are chosen in advance from the vocal studios of member singing teachers. Each singer prepares an aria and/or ensemble (duets). At the presentation the Singer’s Gym is introduced and everyone (audience often included!) is invited to participate in the unique Singer’s Gym opening warm up exercises which are vocal and physical. Following this is the “work out” period of the Gym in which arias and ensembles are presented and worked on, following the four points of focus of the Gym: score, space, character and relationship. A Q&A rounds out the presentation. These presentations can vary from two hours to whole day.
Resident Young Artist Programs at Opera Companies
The format for these presentations vary from master class to whole-group workshops. We work on arias and ensembles and impart the Singer’s Gym approach— looking in depth at each of the following: score, space, character and relationship. We can address arias and ensembles from productions the young artists are currently involved in, and we can put our attention to arias which the singers use in their auditions. These classes and workshops can be organized as a single presentation or an extended class meeting over several days.
Acting Through Shakespeare
This unique workshop gives opera singers the opportunity to learn acting skills through a unique approach to Shakespeare’s texts, which themselves are like musical scores. This is a one or two week workshop. Click here for a more complete description of the Shakespeare workshop.
Workshops and master classes at conservatories and universities
The Singer’s Gym presents its method for voice students and their teachers. We shape the class to the level and stage experience of the participating students. These presentations vary from one hour to full day.
Invited Workshops in Vocal Studios
When we are invited by voice teachers to work with their students, a format is developed and singers are chosen to present arias and ensembles and these are worked on in the Singer’s Gym method in a master-class style. These are usually half or full day presentations.